Saturday, February 9, 2013

Paper puppets

The puppet was developed from balls of paper that were taped together. I didn’t have an exact idea what I wanted to do with my puppet but I had a character in mind and built on this. I found that the way my puppet turned out changed as I went along, I initially wanted to create a strong man type character that had wide shoulders and small hips but after using the rope for the limbs I liked that this seemed to contradict the idea of the strong man so kept them that way rather than building them up. When I created the head I found that the tape and paper made the face look like it had features so I decided to keep this as it was rather than building features on to it. I liked the way that my puppet turned out in the main shape of it but I feel that I could have developed it more to build up a better profile and give the body better shape




The puppet was a simple construction of paper and tape-this can determine some of the character by the way it moves in construction and the way it moves in a performance. It’s important not to be limited by a material so this is a key element. The puppet may be limited by what you’ve used. Materials can help and hinder at the same time. I found that my puppet was easy to construct into the shape I wanted however I decided to make the limbs from the rope used to make the core of the puppet and I found these hard to limit so that they bent in the right way. This added a good characteristic though; it meant that my puppet came across light-footed and sneaky. During the making of the head I found that the tape and paper formed into rough features so did not want to add or take away from this

No comments:

Post a Comment