Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Julie Dodd

http://juliekdodd.moonfruit.com/building-blocks-of-life/4549771843

When researching my idea I came across this artist that produced an installation in response to finding a lot of keepsakes that she had collected over her life.
She decided instead of holding onto them as keepsakes she turned them into this installation stating that:

'Building Blocks of Life' is a small installation which documents my life. Instead of holding onto keepsakes, drawings, letters, photographs etc., in the traditional manner of photo albums, scrap books etc. I have produced an installation where I've recycled these things, bringing them together to form the 'Building Blocks of Life'. Although unrecognizable they still hold the same memories for me.

i found that i started to think about my idea from the perspective of showing the objects that the inmates may have used or had in the time that they would have been in the workhouse.
 Because objects can show the identity they had within the workhouse even if it was just the clothes they wore it would have been something they may have held onto having been stripped of the identity they had when entering the workhouse.

http://www.willardsuitcases.com/
a project that I looked into was a project that was carried out in a closed asylum where they found suitcases of the people that would have been admitted, they can show the person identity and life through objects inside the space of a suitcase.

No comments:

Post a Comment