Sunday, December 14, 2014

start of southwell idea!


After visiting Southwell workhouse a few times I've noticed that i have focused on looking at the identity of people and how i can represent this in my installation. I noticed that i was focusing a lot on the objects within the spaces and also thinking about how the people would have felt within the space having been so controlled even their view on what they looked out on was controlled.
I really like the factor of how they entered the workhouse with nothing
 and I would like to focus on this factor, it interested me to think that they had no possessions not even their own clothes. I started to think about how their lives were constricted within a certain frame of thinking and even what they could see was limited by the windows they looked out of. This got me thinking about how i can represent people within objects, i started to think about frames because to me a persons i identity can be shown within a picture which is often in a frame. I want to play around with the use of frames and what they might represent to different people. Also for me i wanted to involve the use of the control that the inmates had within the building of the workhouse, i was interested in using some of the keys that we were shown on a visit. This to me shows the control that the master and mistress would have over the inmates and the sound that they would create if suspended would recreate the noises that would have echoed around the building itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment